Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A First For The Bean



We didn't set out to have five children.

But being told "Isn't that nice, now you're done!" after our second, made us stubborn; made us mutter to ourselves "That's what you think!"

We preferred to be the ones deciding how many children we should have. Us and the Big Guy.

The OC grew up with only his twin sister and his parents. No brothers, no cousins, no aunts, no uncles, no grandparents. Everyone else related to him was back in the Old Country. He would have liked to have brothers and cousins, but he wasn't consulted. So that our children wouldn't be so alone, we had five.

We didn't tell the in-laws about pregnancy # 3 until we were six months along; later with #4; later still with #5. Didn't need anyone raining on our duckling parade!

Our youngest, The Bean, went with his Dad to vote this evening.[He'll tell you, if you ask, that his mom is an alien!] He's young. Everything is black and white to him. No gray. He's really interested in this election. Figures he and his peers will be living with the results for a long time, and need to get out and make their voices heard. Beats lethargy any day of the week!

His opinions, however, put him at loggerheads with the Ancient One, who is also opinionated, and doesn't hesitate to tell The Young Bean he doesn't know what he's talking about. Which goes over like your garden variety lead balloon. The Bean loves it that his vote counts just as much as that of the Ancient One. And the kicker is --- The Bean voted for the guy who's going to win!

10 comments:

thailandchani said...

I remember my first vote, too... and was very opinionated and thought everything was black or white.

Have to say though... I never thought I'd live long enough to see a Black president!


~*

Anonymous said...

Aliens can't vote? Can you become a certified non alien?

raining sheep said...

Five children, wow! That is a handful but also a great blessing. I watched the U.S. elections last night...so much more exciting than our Canadian stodgy, what is becoming a once a year, event. I don't know if I will see the day when someone else besides a white male becomes prime minister of Canada.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Hurray for The Bean.

My first vote was for Kennedy, although my parents tried to pressure me into voting for Nixon. I read a book about each of them and stood in the rain for over 4 hours at the NYC Colosseum to hear JFK speak. It was worth it and he shook my hand.

I'm thrilled about the outcome of yesterday's election and also that my candidate won, which hasn't happened often over the years.

I'm glad you had five. It's people like you who should have children. Sometimes, like elections, that works out the way it should, too.

Pam said...

Good for the Bean. (Why is he called the Bean? Is it the same sort of reason that our younger daughter is called the Boot?)

Anonymous said...

Well done the Bean and all the rest of the voters in the US who have given us all hope.

Tanya Brown said...

Hooray for the bean! I applaud his notions of civic responsibility.

May the world be a better place for all of us. And may I get my stinking RSS reader problems resolved so I don't miss more of your wonderful posts!

PBS said...

Good for The Bean! Voting is a big part of becoming an adult. I certainly remember the first time I voted.

riseoutofme said...

Well done the Bean! A great day for all Americans and the rest of the world!

Stomper Girl said...

Well done The Bean. And isn't that cute that they give you a sticker the first time you vote. Like school.