Friday, November 27, 2009

Great Book For A Lazy Day

There are a few days in the year when I do not cook. The day after Thanksgiving is one of them, so it's a good thing there were leftovers today, or people might have starved.

Lily gave me a book to bring home, "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo," by Stieg Larsson. As soon as the coffee was made this morning, I betook myself to the couch and settled in for the day. It's the kind of book you can lose yourself in. The weather co-operated, cold and colder, with a need for sweaters and scarves, slippers and blankets, and a good supply of hot tea piped to the couch at regular, hourly intervals. We don't get too much of that kind of prime curling-up-on-the-couch-with-a-great-book kind of weather, so we have to make the best of it when we do! There was the minor annoyance of trips to the loo, but other than that, I spent the day luxuriously immersed in my book. The menfolk even had the good grace to take themselves off to the golf course!

I can't tell you what happens since I'm only two thirds through, but I can tell you it's a riveting read. I'm between a rock and a hard place: I want to know how it ends, but I don't want it to end! But at least, when I do come to the end, I have the comfort of knowing there are two more books by Larsson out there. If you have room on your To Be Read List, add this! But first, make sure there are lots of leftovers at hand, so you won't have to be wrenched away for something so mundane as cooking, and feeding the natives, just when it's getting really good!

9 comments:

Birdydownunder said...

thanks Molly another book I must look for.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Thimbleanna said...

Ooooh, sounds like a good read -- thanks for the suggestion, I'm always looking for good books to add to the list!

riseoutofme said...

You might as well resign yourself to the couch for the foreseeable future Molly! If you're caught, you're caught!

Have read all three and they just get better as you go on.

Happy days!

Pam said...

Come over to Edinburgh if you'd like a little more chilly weather, dear Molly!

I've been too busy to comment much but - you met Jen? How exciting! I didn't even remember that you "knew" her. I love the blog world, especially today...

Great poem, by the way. You're so clever. As we all know.

Micki said...

What a lovely day you must have had with your good book and family!
Micki

Ali Honey said...

It's now on my list. Thanks!

The requirements will be more difficult to arrange.

Julie's Journey said...

I couldnt agree more Molly. I am on the second book in the millenium trilogy with the third one waiting patiently on my beside table. They are incredible reads.

persiflage said...

Oh yes, I really enjoyed those books. I took the first one away with me, and read and re-read it, so that I could comprehend the incredible complexities of the plot. When I got home I became quite unsociable as I raced through the next two, and now sadly accept that too much smoking carried Stieg Larsson off to an untimely death, as apparently he had another four books planned, and now we will never know the full story. Enjoy the other two! Ripping yarns!!

jkhenson said...

I have heard of this book, but hadn't read it. Glad to hear it is a good read; now I will have to add it to my "to read" list! :)