Sunday, January 13, 2013

Hedging My Bets



Had I known what kind of a day it would be I wouldn't have bothered getting up.

Made pancakes in the morning but forgot to put the oil away. Not only that, I forgot to put the cap back on. Later in the afternoon I noticed the open bottle and went to put the cap on. Cursed arthritic wrist! Sent the (mercifully plastic) bottle flying across the kitchen, with me diving after it, but not in time to stem the flow of Canola oil all over the kitchen floor. Mopped as best I could. The Bean was off helping Nick the Greek to buy and plant bamboo. Left a large scrawled warning sign at the scene of the crime so he wouldn't skate to his death when he came in the door....



And slunk to the sewing room. How much damage could I do in there?

He came home by and by, engaged the cat in some silly conversation, and a bit of wrestling, and didn't skate to his death across the kitchen floor---due in large part, I think, to my thoughtfully scrawled warning. I emerged from my sewing room (where I had, indeed, done no damage) and started making supper noises, but no. He is quite taken with his cooking prowess these days and was heading back to Tampa to make supper there, so don't worry about him.

Hmm. I chopped a shallot, and some mushrooms and red pepper, mixed it all with leftover chopped chicken and some rice, and yum! Supper for one! I usually insist that people eat at the table, but I granted myself a dispensation, this one time, and carried my plate to the couch. Because I am so clean, and everyone knows I would never make a mess........The first forkful had not reached my mouth before I knocked the plate over, spilling its contents all over my lap, the couch, and the carpet.

The jury is still out on whether I'll get up, or not, tomorrow.

.

14 comments:

persiflage said...

Well, as we know from news reports of such events at sea, oil spills can do a lot of damage.
And Molly, I have to admit to being a war baby, born on 4 July. My father, then in the Navy, told the Americans he was working with at the time that he was resisting the temptation to call me Carolina Virginia Georgia.
Let's just agree it was a good decade (eventually).

Elephant's Child said...

Oh dear. Empathy on both counts. A few years ago I was making dinner. I lifted the two litre bottle of oil out of the cupboard - and the bottom fell away. Almost two litres of olive oil across the kitchen floor, seeping under the cupboards and the fridge. I mopped and mopped and mopped. I won't tell you how many times.
Sadly, MS hands mean that I often throw food at myself, at the floor... And yes, sometimes a day (or two) in bed seems a very good option. I hope tomorrow is much, much better for you.

Relatively Retiring said...

I can never quite understand how a small amount of oil in a bottle can cover an entire floor - but it can, can't it?

Anonymous said...

We all have those sort of days. Perhaps the cat made itself useful and ate up your spilled supper?

Ali Honey said...

It could have been worse!
You should grant yourself more dispensations...nobody else is going too!I feel sure tomorrow will be a better day.

You were right about the ants....they got in anyway! Bugger!

Anonymous said...

Sprinkle on soap powder (detergent) to absorb the oil and then sweep it up. I should have told you that on Friday. The one thing I learned working in a supermarket.

blogless Barbara

molly said...

Persi---Well at least I didn't do any BP level damage! And yes, it was a very good decade.

EC---Oh, groan! Mine wasn't that much but I'm still mopping!

RR----must be where the term "oil slick" came from!

LGS---No. El Gato wisely took cover at the other end of the house!

Ali---Sorry about the ants...I'm not always happy to be right---but ants seem to rule the world----unconquerable!

Blogless Barbara---I did actually get (divine?)inspiration to sprinkle powdered dishwasher detergent over the whole mess. It was a wild stab in the dark but it helped!

Lee said...

Hahahahahahaha! I hate days like that! I have them often, so I know what I'm saying! ;)

Thanks for the laugh, Molly!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Oh Lord ! You have my heartfelt sympathy . I spilt a litre bottle of multi-purpose cleaner last week . The result ? A Disney-esque cloud of bubbles that took ages to clear up ...

Thimbleanna said...

Oh no! Well, I certainly hope yesterday was better. And clearly, you need more practice eating on the couch. A few more evenings and you'll have the technique perfected!

Wisewebwoman said...

Lawdie lawd, I hate days like that and they happen more now I'm older. I keep hitting plates off each other and chipping them, I think (for me) I am not slowing down and need to as I'm not as accurate as I was before in placing things so they drop and drip and act as if they had lives of their own :(

I hope tomorrow is MUCH better for you, eating on the couch takes years of practice. A dear friend wore out the seat of her bathrobe just perfecting the skill.

So be gentle with yourself and always dress appropriately for couch-eating.

XO
WWW

molly said...

S&S---I think that would be preferable to spilling oil. At least everything would be squeaky clean when you'd finished mopping up....

Anna--You are right of course---I need to put in -more practice, especially on the balancing end of things!

WWW---If you could see my favourite robe! The backside wore out of it years ago! The OC, who never notices what I'm wearing, has begged me to consign it to the rubbish bin. But it's sooo comfy!

Bonnie said...

Hi Molly, I'm just catching up after having been on a little vacation. Loved this post. I Love Downtown Abbey too. Hope your having better days now.

Susan Kane said...

If one is to make a mess, it is best to do it on a grand scale, or at least that is what I tell myself.