Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"Where We're From" Revisited




I finally got the prints I'd promised my sister of photos I took last summer in Ireland. Only six months late. As I browsed through the gazillion I took, I came across these that I'd taken the day we climbed up through squelchy, mucky fields to the graveyard, with the cousins, to snoop around among the ancestors.





They reminded me of a long ago post called "Where I'm From". There's a list of mine, Rise's (The Little Blister) and several others, on my sidebar. Take a minute to read a few of them if you missed them first time around. Then, if you're as enthralled as I was when I first found it at Daysgoby, click on her version (it's on the list) and click on the link at the bottom which will bring up the story of how it all started, as well as the template for anyone who'd like to have a go...





.

As time goes on with a blog you lose some early commenters and gain new ones. I loved reading each and every one on that list. Now I'd like to add versions of "Where I'm From" by the bloggers I've only come to know more recently. Blogger seems to have obliterated all my earlier posts, including this one, which makes me very glad I made that list!




Foxgloves on the passage above Uncle Willie's










                                                                                 






So I'm Challenging -----------Relatively Retiring, Secret Agent Woman, Pauline, Persiflage, Smitonius and Sonata, WWWoman, Friko, Dianne, Elephant's Child, StitchinByTheLake, Random Thoughts, Susan Kane, Murr Brewster, One Woman's Journey  and anyone else who's up for the challenge, to tell us "Where They're From." 

How about it Ganching?"




Remnants of a holy well (I think...)








16 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Ah yes. The Where I'm From. I have to say, that was my very favorite of all the challenges, a-longs, and tagging that went on back in the day. And I'm happy to hear that someone else takes as long to go through pictures as I do. I've just been trying to clean up pics from my trip to the UK last summer too. It's a lot of work!

Wisewebwoman said...

A chara~

I'll wait till the humour takes me. Right now isn't the time.

XO
WWW

Susan Kane said...

Ooooh, I do love a good challenge! Actually, I have another blogsite in which the past is laid bare. I'll post from that one next.

I loved your photos and will check your past posts! We lived in Cork County from 1985-1988. My husband's family is from Longford.

Lee said...

Me...I'm Queensland, Australia born and bred. I was born in Rockhampton; Rockhampton sits on the Tropic of Capricorn. However, my grandparents on my paternal side came to this country from County Cork...here they began begetting their family - and my father was one of the begets! (Sounds like a french breadroll)! On my maternal side, my mother and my grandmother were both born here in Queensland...Gympie, Qld. But my grandmother's parents etc. came from Scotland and Ireland...a bit of mixed breeding going on there! ;)

Susan Kane said...

Well, then, Miss Molly!

I've been giving some thought to your challenge, and will get a post up on Feb. 6!

It will not be nearly as beautiful and lyrical as yours, I fear.

Relatively Retiring said...

I'm in the same situation as Wisewebwoman. Now is not the right time, but thank you for the challenge all the same, Molly.

Pam said...

Ah, nice British/Irish weather!

Congrats on new granddaughter. Hooray! Now you'll have to go and see her...

dianne said...

are you talking to ME?!? cuz if you are ... gee ... i'm honored ... but ... do i really have anything to say?!? and would anyone really want to read it?!? and what happens when i muck it up?!?

i do know that when i read those in your sidebar, i spent the rest of the day being teary-eyed...

Susan Kane said...

After reading some of the "Where I'm From..." posts, I was reminded of a poem by Amergin (spelling), one of the early Irish settlers. He wrote something like, "I am the dawn.." Very beautiful.

Lee said...

And right at this moment as I write...I've just come from the bathroom!

molly said...

Excuse me??

Pauline said...

Been walking the paths to the past a lot lately while I've been laid up... will give this a go. Thanks for including me :)

Friko said...

yes, yes, I just saw it at Pauline’s and thought what a marvellous idea it is. Yes, thanks for the challenge, I will do it. But I’ll have a bit of a rummage in my memory first. I want it to be soething special, for me, and maybe even for a reader or two.

Thanks Molly, for introducing me, I’ve not seen this meme before.

Susan Kane said...

Well, then, Molly. I've gone and done it: posted my own "Where I am from..."! check it out!

ganching said...

Thanks for including me in this. I thought about doing this a few years ago but didn't get round to it. I enjoyed doing it. Hope you like reading it.

gz said...

This has prompted some wonderful writing.

Hello, via Relatively Retiring.

Me? I'm still discovering where I'm from...a Celtic mongrel with a confused past.