Thursday, November 09, 2017

A New Approach




November always gets me remembering my early days of blogging. Especially NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month) and how, for a couple of years in a row, I actually did it - a blog post every day throughout November. And now some lazy, uninspired person has crawled into that space I used to occupy. A person who can't seem to manage one blog post per month, never mind every day.

I drove to the doctor's this week and all the way there (an hour) I wrote the most scintillating blog posts - in my head. They frown on people writing while they drive almost as much as they frown on people driving while inebriated so, of course, by the time I got home again, all my brilliance had evaporated.

I started blogging, more than ten years ago, as a way to practice writing. You know what they say - you've got to be disciplined and do it every day, not just when the spirit moves you. Because the spirit is fickle and can't be depended upon to show up. Back when there was still a lot going on in my life I was more disciplined. A busy life and a houseful of children provides plenty of writing marterial even the aggravating parts. Not Pulitzer stuff by any stretch but at least words to paper, at least some action. Now, with that houseful all grown and flown, life is busy in a different way, filled with the things we didn't have time for way back then.

My lightbulb moment came on my drive to the doc. As well as loving to write, I love taking photographs. Why not pick a photo from my overflowing and constantly added to collection and write about it, maybe not a post a day but perhaps one per week? 

Sounds like a plan.

Watch this space.

Note: This photo doesn't have much of a strory. It merely provides a little of what passes, in Florida, for Fall color.

10 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Blogging every day is beyond my lazy self.
I do love reading/admiring other people's industry though.
And will assuredly watch this space.

Marigold Jam said...

Looking forward to reading the results of your plan.

Sabine said...

This is an excellent plan!

Ali Honey said...

I agree. I think we might have caught something off each other ....laziness in blogging. I really like your idea as I like take the photos far more than writing the words.
I think I could follow your plan.

So glad your property didn't get trashed with last months weather events.

gz said...

an hour's drive to the doctor...beggars belief!! We have a five minute walk....
Perhaps a dictaphone to take down those blogging ideas?

molly said...


EC,Marigold and Sabine - Thanks for the encouragement!

Ali - It does seem like a bug that has infected a lot of the bloggers who started out with us. But blogging appeals to me much more than all the things, like twitter and instagram and whathaveyou, that have knocked it aside. I'll be looking for more of your posts...

gz - There are docs nearby. I just haven't had luck with them.The hour-away doc is worth the trip. Dictaphone? That would require me to master another mechanical/technical contraption...not happenin'.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Happy to see you again , whenever .

Colette said...

I hope you really do this, because I would love to see how that goes - writing about photos. Great idea.

Thimbleanna said...

I feel your pain Molly. I used to blog so much more when the kids were around more. What's up with that? Did we need an escape? Did we have smaller snippets of time so we could sneak in and write something -- but now with bigger gaps we fill them with things longer tasks that took more time then? Or, maybe more likely, I feel like I don't have that much more to say? Or that I've already shown pictures of the things in my world -- and my world hasn't changed much. Ah well -- I shall look forward to seeing your photos with your wise words to match!

molly said...


S&S - I hope it'll be more often than once a month between your blog and mine.

Colette - Seems like you've already done it Colette, with family photos!

Anna - Yes, what happened? Facebook? Twitter? Instagram? Old age? Dotage? I just want to write, so have to use whatever tricks I can to make it happen. And frankly, FB is great for seeing pics of the grandkids(and the grand-animals!)which one might never otherwise see, but not so great as a creative writing outlet.