Thursday, August 13, 2020

A Little Bit of Fun is Good for the Soul

 


Note: Warning - this is about addiction. Continue at your own risk

When not on the porch hanging out with the lizards I can usually be found at the other end of the house, sewing. The thought has crossed my mind that this whole pandemic is a plot to make me focus and finish the myriad half-done projects that lie therein.

 Because I am the center of the universe. 

A joke, I hasten to add, albeit a feeble one. I am well aware of the gravity of the corona virus situation and the tragedy it has meant for many people. That said, no matter what horror stories you may have heard about Florida, they are very likely exaggerated. That seems to be how the media operates these days. Let's tell them the sky is falling and they should cower and tremble and be very afraid. 


The news is depressing, the pandemic is depressing, the riots and protests are depressing, not being able to visit with your friends is depressing, not being able to have proper funerals is depressing, people eyeing their fellows with suspicion is depressing. I don't want to be depressed and so I go back to the comfortable chaos of my sewing room, confident that , no matter how long the current situation lasts, I have fabric and thread and ideas to keep me happy and busy indefinitely.



 

In just the past month have finished (love that word!) several small quilting projects that were lingering, ignored, for more than a decade. Done, dusted, happy dance time!

My sewing machine grudgingly shares space with my computer and last week I was clicking idly from one interesting thing to another when something stopped me in my tracks, my heart skipped a beat. You've undoubtedly heard of the evils of the internet? I had stumbled onto a blog - http://www.knottedcotton.com/2012/08/slow-blog.html and there was a tutorial for a very cute little bag. A Komebukuro bag that is used in Japan to carry rice to the temple. I very much doubt that I will ever, in what remains of my life, have a need for a bag to do that. But before I had finished reading Catherine's description (she's the blogger on K.C.) I was casting my eyes about the room and having a think about which fabrics I would use. Never mind that I still have plenty of UFOs to work on instead of something new. 


I needed a small break, I told myself. I deserved it, I told myself. Look at all the UFOs I'd finished since the beginning of the year!  My fingers in my ears stifled the sound of the responsible angel that sits on my right shoulder, so I could hear, loud and clear, the devil on my left.



And so I made it. Sat there, stitching and grinning while the OC held his tongue and rolled his eyes. 

I'm thinking I'll take it to Ohio Daughter whom we'll be visiting in the next few days. Surely she needs a pretty little bag to take rice to the temple? No? Well maybe she could use it for her knitting? The only problem I can foresee would be if she feels a need for a kimono to go with it. 

Then I'd be in trouble.

15 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Smiling - and loving your creativity. IF I were to take rice to the temple I cannot think of a better receptacle.
On this side of the world I continue to read, and continue to garden. Other 'worthier' projects are still waiting.

Marigold Jam said...

Another brilliant post! Love it. Just the sort of thing I would do except that the lovely little rice bag would simply join the rest of the UFOs in my sewing room whereas you have finished so many and even the newly started one is finished - how do you do it?!!! Lucky Ohio daughter to be the recipient of the lovely bag I want one too!!

Bijoux said...

That is the cutest bag! I’d use it as a purse!

Anonymous said...

Lovely bag and beautiful lining!
Lian

Molly said...

EC - I had such fun making it I couldn't keep the grin off my face. Mo Doing that hand stitching around the center patch reminded me of learning to sew in grade school - I loved hand stitching and still do.
MJ - Procrastination prevented me from finishing many things. There was always tomorrow, which of course never came. I find I'm more patient as I get older, happy to do a little bit each day, and soon all the little bits merge and the project is done. I would make you one but I have to get back to my UFOs and listen to the responsible angel!
Bijou - would you? It's not big enough for all the bits and pieces I lug around but I suppose if you pared down a bit.....
Lian - Thanks for visiting. It's always fun to meet new people. And yes, I live that blue lining and I only barely had enough.

Molly said...

...love that blue lining.

Wisewebwoman said...

OMG, what a fabulous bag, I adore it rice or no. I have one handmade adorable bag that I just hang on my wall and admire all the time. I'm with you.

XO
WWW

Molly said...

WWW - Thank you! If you google 'slow stitching' up pop all kinds of hand sewing ideas. Making this, especially the big stitch lines on the sides, made me feel like I was back in sewing class in primary school when we learned how to do all the stitches. I loved it and still do!

Pam said...

That's beautiful! Your lizard story was, however, a bit too exciting for me. Argh.

Sabine said...

This is lovely. I am sure your daughter will like it a lot. You don't need a temple to find use for it.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

At least you're sewing, I'm just sitting with my mouth open, catching flies.
That's an exceptionally pretty little bag!

Molly said...

Oh-oh, careful S&S. I'm sure you've heard the sorry fate met by that old lady who swallowed a fly!

Gemma's person said...

Beautiful , giving me the itch to make one. I have been planning on a new purse, just the ticket. Love the fabrics you chose.

Molly said...

GEMMA - Go for it. If you do (this is something I'd do if I made another), with bag and lining inside out machine stitch two of the side seams together before continuing. This will anchor the lining better inside the bag. Show us your bag when done!

Secret Agent Woman said...

Very nice! I especially like that blue fabric.

My creativity of late has been outwardly focused, with my hands happily in the dirt.