Saturday, March 13, 2021

The Uninvited Guest

 There's a lizard living in the closet of my sewing room. 

I'm not happy about it, much as I like lizards - in their place (outside). I don't think he's too happy about it either. He probably found a door open recently due to our beautiful Spring weather and decided to explore the human habitat, not thinking, silly fellow, that the door would soon close and he'd be trapped. 

I'm not a screamer but I did give a yelp and leapt backwards with surprising agility the first time I saw him. Thankfully, I  saw at once that my visitor was not a snake. I can tolerate snakes in the garden, just not slithering around indoors, disappearing into inaccessible corners with no knowing when they might re-emerge and give me a heart attack. I opened the door from my sewing room to the great outdoors to entreat him to depart, keeping a wary eye lest any of his compadres decided to join him, but he was having none of it. 

The standard lizard diet of insects, larvae, worms and the occasional small, hapless frog is not on offer in these premises. I would'nt like him to die in my sewing room. It's a creative place where new quilts are born and grow, albeit slowly, to quilt adulthood. I would'nt want it to be a portal to the lizard underworld. It was a mistake for him to let his curiosity lead him astray. We all know what curiosity did to the cat. We have found the occasional shrivelled, crispy tree frog or lizard inside before. It's not a big deal. No odor, no mess, but no life either, and it's so warm and sunny outside. 

He really ought to avail himself of that open door. But he's not convinced. He prefers the closet where I can only hope he's not dining on fabric and patterns. For one thing, I would seriously doubt their nutritional content.  I now approach my sewing machine warily as his preferred time to be out and about, visible on the light colored carpet, is when I'm not there. Soon as I approach, he scurries back to his hideout. 


Meanwhile, I've absconded to the Northwest for a visit, leaving the OC and our uninvited guest to duke it out in the hallway outside the sewing room, should Mr. Lizard tire of fabric and patterns and go in search of more appealing fare. Otherwise there'll likely be a shrivelled, crispy lizard cadaver waiting for me under the sewing table when I return.



11 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Enjoy your visit - though I do hope that you don't have to deal with a cadaver on your return.
Our uninvited guests are ants. Kazillions of them. I hope they leave as silently as they came.

Sabine said...

How big is that lizard? At least it's not a nest of cockroach eggs or a small anthill.
Wait, do lizards breed in captivity?

gz said...

Have a good trip....and hope the lizard takes the trip outdoors!

Bijoux said...

Ugh. They are only cute outdoors.

Lee said...

A tiny lizard was running around in my bathroom for a couple of days. He's gone now. I think he came inside to find a dry, safe haven from the heavy rain we had in the early to mid part of last week.

Take good care, Molly. :)

Ali Honey said...

For some reason your next post won't show up for me???

Thimbleanna said...

Miss Molly! I'm so pleased to see you blogging again! I love reading your happenings -- it sounds like you're staying busy. And Quilting! I hope you won't find a lizard carcass upon your return. Did you happen so see the Space-X debris from where you are?

Pam said...

Oh, how horrible that would be! I do hope that the OC expels him (duke it out? What does that mean?)

Have a lovely time away. Away???? What's that???? No aways here...

Secret Agent Woman said...

I hope he makes his way back outside soon!

molly said...


EC - No cadavers but he showed up again when I returned! Scared him back into hiding when I yelped in surprise...

Sabine - Perish the thought!

gz - he seems resistant to returning to the great outdoors, in spite of wide open doors.

Bijoux - Not sure I'd call them cute exactly! Certainly interesting in their pre-historic looks.

Lee - no sightings in the bathroom yet, mercifully.

Ali - It was rubbish and so I deleted it!

Anna Banana - No, unfortunately, I was so out of tune with the news that I missed it.

Pam - "Duking it out" is (I think) an American slang expression for settling something by fighting. No carcasses thus far on my return but still a live, unwanted guest who seems to have subsisted on ???? in my absence! My brief sighting showed him to be in robust health....

molly said...


SAW - Me too!