Thursday, March 04, 2021

Treasure in the Garden


 Sunday was another beautiful day - this time of year is when Florida and paradise are synonomous. I was wandering lazily around and eventually found myself in the shade garden. That's fancy for a section of our garden that used to be wild and jungley but we trimmed and clipped and tamed it a bit, and carved a winding path through it, and now it's my favourite corner. So there I am, in the shade garden, picking up twigs and fallen branches. I see something that looks like a dried leaf that drifted down from the canopy and got caught on some palmetto palms. But, as I go to pluck it off, I see that it is no leaf but a beautiful moth, and no midget either! 


"Don't move!" I told him. "Stay right there while I run inside for my phone..."

He was very good. He waited. Posed obligingly for a couple of shots, then fluttered away, but just to the leaf litter underfoot where he spread his wings to show the full extent of his handsomeness, and his scary 'face' too, perhaps to discourage any unworthy intentions I might have been harboring. I had none. 



I was elated to have found him. 



It reminded me that we don't need to travel to the ends of creation to find beauty and wonder. It's right there, under our noses, in a leaf, a flower, a bug, a pine cone, a spider web. 

Every day. 

In spite of Covid 19.

 


8 comments:

Bijoux said...

I have seen some beautiful moths over the years. Yes, Florida is perfect this time of year!

Elephant's Child said...

You are soooo right on the beauty front. And how I would have loved to see that 'moff'.

Susan Kane said...

wow!!

Sabine said...

So wonderful to see this beauty.

gz said...

Glad that the moth waited for you

Pam said...

Goodness gracious me, Molly, two posts all of a sudden! How nice! Yes, Florida does look very nice at the moment, but we were once there at Easter and it was MUCH TOO HOT for us northern softies. On the other hand, our grandchildren were playing in the sandpit today and I had to go and get my coat, scarf and gloves after a while. I think paradise possibly moves round the world as the year progresses. You enjoy it now and we'll get it in a bit.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Ooh, that really is a beautiful moth. Cool find!

Lee said...

The beauty of Mother Nature surrounds us...we just must remember to look...to remove our blinders. :)

Take good care.