Sunday, November 09, 2008

Quilts In The Gardens.......continued




Our little quilt show at the botanical gardens yesterday was such a success everyone wants to make it an annual affair. Other quilt groups in the area want to be included, which would be great! The more the merrier. There were several sections of the gardens that had no quilts yesterday, so there's definitely room for expansion.....We even had some vendors peddling their quilty wares.......




Before the show, we wondered if birds, and the possibility of birds doing what birds sometimes do when sitting on tree branches, might be a problem. Such activity is completely natural, but some quilters might be outraged at Mother Nature if their quilts were, to put it delicately, fertilized! No such problems arose, I'm happy to report. The only birds who caught my attention were these.......





Even the squirrels behaved themselves and stayed in the background. We are in Florida though, and if there's one animal everyone expects to see in Florida , especially if they have students at UF, it's the Gator!





On the subject of orange and blue, here's a bright Snails Tails quilt....





Stars were a recurring theme.......





As were appliqued flowers......





Here's Jane, a good quilting friend, who had her eightieth birthday today...Happy Birthday Jane! That's her pretty wall hanging, beside her.........






This hanging was one of my favourites!





If you've been reading my blog for a while you've probably seen my kitty. I dragged him out of mothballs and gave him a turn in the fresh air yesterday.....





This last quilt was best of show at a much bigger quilt show this year. No prizes for guessing why!





I had a wonderful time during my few hours on quilt patrol. I met some very interesting people, from as far away as London, and Finland. Everyone was in a relaxed and friendly mood. I talked to the Finnish lady for quite a while. She was in awe that "humans could do such beautiful work!" I'm pretty sure she's going to leave no stone unturned when she goes home 'til she finds someone to teach her how to quilt!

I hope you've enjoyed following me around. We plan on doing it again, so if you're in this part of Florida, in this part of next year, be sure to stop by our Botanical Gardens!

6 comments:

Ali Honey said...

Congratulations everyone. The organisers, the quilters and the gardeners. Natural light on the quilts is such a good idea.
I liked the way the snails trail was off set. I loved the bright coloured quilts ( I always do ) - just like huge flowers in the garden. Your quilts looked lovely. So did that young friend Jane's quilt.

Thanks for taking us with you - I really enjoyed this post and the previous one . Just delightful.

I might try hanging some of mine in the garden some sunny day, just to see how it looks.

Anonymous said...

They are all such beautiful quilts. I love them all.

riseoutofme said...

Lovely quilts! Lovely gardens! Wish I was there!

Say Hi to Jane for me! She's looking great!

Tanya Brown said...

This looks like a treat! Thank you for sharing it.

Red Hen (dette) said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. What a gorgeous setting and such delightful quilts. Yes crafty fairs do tend to bring out some interesting people thats why I've got my heart set on doing the george st festival in my home town next month- even though I really haven't got time to spare to make things to sell!

Thimbleanna said...

Thanks for more quilty pics Molly. I thought I was a long time reader but apparently not (or else the memory has lapsed, which very well may be the case) 'cause I don't remember seeing the kitty quilt. It's lovely!