Friday, June 18, 2021

The Pusillanimity of it All


A recent post by Colette had me nodding my head. I knew what she was talking about. Nothing going on here, nothing to see, nothing to write about - but hey - wait a minute! Do I still have a pulse? Is my head constantly teeming with thoughts and words? And how does that translate into such inertia that I've "nothing to say"? That was the gist of one comment on her post. Roderick Robinson's arrow hit the mark. It pierced my inertia too. It turns out I have a lot to say but am timid about saying it. Will people fall out of their chairs with the boredom of it all? Will they fall asleep? Will my blog be cancelled? Just kidding. We're not on youtube, nobody cares. There is so much angst in the world right now, so much division, so much an attitude of "if you're not with me you're against me" in matters of huge import to humanity, it's tempting to decide that the simple routines of my days and my ordinary thoughts will just bring on the yawns.



But. 

I am, once again, reading Julia Cameron's efforts to beat those of us with writerly ambitions but lazy attitudes into the discipline of what she calls "morning pages." I've been at it a week or too, hit or miss.  I didn't exactly 'fall out of bed directly onto the page' this morning but I did hie me to the park behind us as soon as I was dressed, even remembering, in my uncaffeinated state, to take the key that would open the gate, my fence scaling days being far behind me.

And what a morning. The park so peaceful, especially as "peace comes dropping slow" these days. Nature is tending to business, unbothered by the latest political and covid outrages from the media. Already warm, the air oozing moisture, the sun wrestling its way through the haze, the lazy overhead drone of an airplane, the nearby drone of dragonflies. There's a large bird in the reeds out a ways from the dock where I'm sitting - heron? Wood stork? 



And then a smaller one shows up - a blue heron ? I wait, hoping Blue will come closer for a better shot but soon realize how impatient I am. If it happens, it'll be in his time, not mine. Half an hour later the larger bird is still standing in the reeds. Maybe this is his morning meditation time? Wisely he lets his breakfast come to him while young Blue flaps about, chasing his. 





The lake looks so calm but don't be fooled. Under the surface and that carpet of waterlilies it seethes with life: tiny fishes, bigger fishes, frogs - I hear them singing, turtles - I hear the occasional splash.

  And snakes. Like this fellow.



There have even been sightings of alligators, reason enough not to go wading out in search of a waterlily close-up! In the interests of keeping my limbs I content myself with this one, nestled up against the dock. 




And yet I know, as idyllic as the scene before me appears, tooth and claw are the order of the day. Should I weep for the fishes gobbled by those herons? Or respect the fact that here, pusillanimity has no place? 

At last, his meditation and breakfast done, the stork departs on wide, lazy wings. I could sit here all day absorbing tranquility through my pores, but my bladder, as usual, has other ideas. I unfold my bones and head for home, emboldened to mine that teeming, incoherent stream of thoughts and words that whirl dervishly through my brain and write something, anything, with more courage.

Thank you Colette, and thank you Mr. Robinson for the kick in the pants.





21 comments:

gz said...

There is an inertia in the world at the moment...is it waiting for the Solstice on Monday morning?
Love the pictures of the birds...we need to be still and observe

Bijoux said...

I’m always delighted to see big birds and water lilies. You’ve taught me a new word!

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you.
Both for the beauty and the serenity your words and images convey and for the reminder. I often worry that I will bore people to sobs. If I do, they are kind enough not to express it and doubly kind in that many of them return.

Ali Honey said...

A new word for me too!
Why do I like reading your blog? Never mind the subject matter its the way you string your words together that I love dear Molly!

molly said...


gz - Wouldn't it be lovely if the Solstice (my Little Blister's birthday) pushed a reset button and we all woke up to find that covid had been just a bad dream?

Bijoux - It's a doozy, isn't it? I may have known it long ago but, from lack of use(!) I long ago forgot it.

EC - I can't count how many posts I've written, then erased because I didn't want to inflict them on readers kind enough to keep coming here!

Ali - You're too kind. We go back a lot of years together.

Marigold Jam said...

As always a lovely post you have the knack of writing about things I can always empathise with in a way I doubt if I could string them together in words. That's a new word to me too and having checked it out I can now add it to my vocabulary! It is good to realise that there is worth in even the most mundane moments if only we stop and take note - live in the moment and find the many interesting things that are there in the everyday. Thank you for reminding us of this. How lovely to have such a tranquil area right on your doorsteop too. I too should be more grateful that I can step out of my gateway and into a wood which is always full of little twitterings, rustlings, flowers and things of note you have reminded me of that and maybe this morning I will hie me to the wood and take note myself of what is around me here - who knows I might even be inspired to write a blog post after all these months! Thank you Molly and do keep the posts coming even when there is nothing to say!!!

Relatively Retiring said...

What a lovely start to my day. I felt as if I was with you there, in the calmness, and I wish I could have been. I'm glad you didn't have a paddle into that deceptive water, and also that you remembered your key. All important facts. What struck me most was the unfolding of your bones. I know that feeling so well!
How could you ever be boring, Molly?

Anonymous said...

Hey Molly its Birdy from downunder. greetings, hugs and where's the coffee. Isnt it funny I have just come back to blogger (mind you they dont make it easy now do they). I found the other channel shouting news at me. So I have found 3 blogging friends who write so eloquently I find I am always fascinated by what they say. Oh how I wish I had your writing skills. I just write whats in my head ...... dont laugh. take care keep safe hugs from downuder xxxx

molly said...


Marigold - There is so much that is beautiful right under our noses, if we keep our eyes and hearts open to it. Politics may be a mess, the world may seem to be about to spin off its axis, but the tiny flowers in the wild part of our garden and along the water's edge at the nearby park will bloom and turn towards the sun regardless. I was delighted to see your comment and hope to see a post from you soon.

R&R - I'm afraid to stop doing yoga because then unfolding the bones might become a lot more difficult! Since covid we've been doing it at home and sometimes, in a particularly knotty pose, my mind wanders to the possibility that I might get stuck there, unable to unfold and then what would happen? Would the fire brigade be called to untangle the ancient crone's bones and what was she doing getting herself into such knots in the first place. We do, after all, have more important things to attend to such as getting kittens out of trees. The bones do protest but I can still unfold them.

Birdy! Will wonders never cease? I thought you were lost to blogging forever. FB just doesn't do it for me - I'd love to see you blogging again. I'll be on the lookout....

Elephant's Child said...

Reading about your commitment to yoga reminds me of the Miss Seeton mysteries. Elderly she might be, but her yoga gives her strength and flexibility beyond her years. And I need to get back to the long neglected (by me) practice.

Sabine said...

I felt taken along for this excursion into your world. What a good way to start the day and kick-start your writing skills again.
And I learned a new word. I have sprinkled my conversations with this new addition and even my word-wise daughter commented on it ("big new word Mum, eh?")

molly said...


Sabine - it was a new word for me too, but I don't use a fancy, obscure word when a simpler, more common one will work. Besides, every time I say this new one (to myself only - I haven't inflicted it on anyone but the people who drop in here!) I trip over the various syllables. It just doesn't roll easily off the tongue.! I bet your daughter got a kick out of it though

Thimbleanna said...

It looks so beautiful where you are -- well, except for that snake. You can keep him. I've read about your yoga and sadly, I've been remiss in any exercises since we couldn't go to classes anymore. Do you just do your own thing? Or follow an online class? Almost every day I think I really must start again and then ... well, busy-ness intervenes. (Or maybe it's lazy-ness LOL.)

Dee said...

Dear Molly, thank you for this posting which shook me out of today's lethargy. It recalled to me some lines from a poem I memorized in college way back in 1957: "To see the world in a grain of sand and heave in a wildflower. To hold infinity in the palm of the hand and eternity in an hour." I think Wordsworth said that. (Or maybe Coleridge. We studied the two of them together.)

So there was nature sharing its autobiography with you and there you were--receptive and appreciative. Humble and tender too.

As to those Morning Pages. I've been writing them on and off (mostly on) since her first book came out back in 1992. I took 18 months off in 2006-7 when Meniere's Disease was so bad that I could read or look at television or write because everything kept moving, moving, moving in front of me and so I had vertigo all the time. But the morning pages throughout the years have helped me sort what I'm thinking and come to an appreciation of the wonder of my life. They have led to gratitude. I bet the same happens for you. You have such an appreciation of nature that it seems to me the morning pages probably open up the deep wellspring of gratitude that is within you. Peace.

Penghuni 60 said...

Hopefully this pandemic will end soon, so that life can return to normal

greetings from Indonesia
I follow your blog ^_^

R's Rue said...

I’m glad to have found your blog. I appreciated reading your thoughts and seeing the photos which are lovely. Have a blessed day my friend.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

molly said...


Anna-banana - Youngest son says he's harmless, actually a friendly little fellow - not sure I'd want to be too chummy - you stay there, I'll stay here, at least 6 feet apart! Though I have to admit, I don't freak out about snakes as much as when we moved here first.
As for yoga, we do it at home now, on our own schedule, no more yoga center, even though they're open now. We have favorite teachers on line, it's all free, no damage to the environment to drive there and back. Lay out your mat, find a class on youtube and away you go! It's easier than you think.

Dee - I'd heard those few lines also and found the full poem by William Blake, on the Poetry Foundation's site. It's a very long poem called Auguries of Innocence, but those few lines you quoted are the best known. I see it every day around the garden: a butterfly with intricate markings; a beautiful and intricate flower in the grass turning its tiny face towards the sun; the shape of a few pomegranates in one of our trees - a mere harvest of four this year but a wonder nevertheless; the clouds at sunset; the clean feeling in the air after a thundershower....I could go on. Still struggling to believe that those morning pages help but scribbling away!

molly said...


Penghuni 60 - Always nice to have a new visitor. I visited your blog but could not read it and the translation, unfortunately, seemed to turn it into gibberish!! I appreciate your following my (very occasional) posts.

R's Rue - See above! I did visit your blog and liked how you are able to say so much in a more compact form!

molly said...


R's Rue - In case you see this - I tried to comment on your blog but Blogger wouldn't let me....

Gemma's person said...

Right now , we need to hear the normal, see the normal.
The media is roaring with , look at me I have the most outlandish(though untrue) story out here.
Truth/ Fact is no longer their goal.
Nature and is't beauty will heal us.

molly said...


Gemma's Person - Since the world seems to have gone mad, it's comforting that Mother Nature is staying out of the fray. I think she provides comfort and sanity to those who seek her out,