Saturday, November 21, 2009

No Axe Murderers Turned Up....



.....and the only casualties were some leaves.


When Lily told M where we were going on Thursday night, he was incredulous.

"Your mom has a date with someone she met on the internet?"

Lots of ribbing, but, nothing daunted, off we went to meet Jen. who'd been warned about but was not deterred by "The Bug." We'd told her we were both tall, one with dark curly hair, the other with white. She'd told us she was short with straight blond hair.

No searching was necessary as, when we walked into the restaurant, the first person who caught my eye was a short blond, looking straight at us with a big smile. It's uncanny, but I almost felt I recognized her. Is it possible to form an accurate mental picture of someone from reading their blog?

Over a delicious dinner we talked non stop for close to two hours! Jen was so friendly and easy to talk to. We talked about families, blogging, her teaching, and how her husband was worried and warned her, as she left the house, to keep her phone at the ready, in case we turned out not to be a blogger and her daughter! Jen's blog is accurately named; she is very upbeat and positive, someone you'd be delighted to have as your child's teacher.

Especially for Thimbleanna, to carry on her tradition of "Wilson" photos at blog meets, we took a picture. Not very flattering to either of us, but we'll offer it up for our sins!




This is the kind of caper that convinces the OC his wife has bats in her belfry. But it was so much fun! I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The chances of meeting an axe murderer are fairly slim. You're much more likely to make a new friend, since you already, sort-of, know each other from blogging. If you like the way the blogger writes, chances are good you'll also like the blogger. We were glad Jen's husband let her take the risk!

11 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Oh How Fun! Darn it -- I wish I could have been there. You two look so cute -- a picture VERY worthy of Wilson!!! Gosh, I'm so excited for you both!!!

Stomper Girl said...

Blogmeets are the best fun! If you like someone's blog you'll like the blogwriter.

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Good fun. I have met a few bloggers in Europe & Asia (hoping for the US next year) and they are unfailingly lovely people.

Ali Honey said...

Good for you. I'm glad it worked. ( doesn't always! )But meeting at a cafe or restaurant is a good idea, as it gives some outs if needed.

Hope you are feeling in better health today. Hugs Ali.

Pauline said...

What fun! I've met one fellow blogger, a delightful chap (and his wife) from England who are friends of a man I once interviewed when I was a practicing journalist. It wasn't quite the who-knows-what-will-happen adventure you had but I look forward to someday making contact with other bloggers.

riseoutofme said...

Sounds like fun!

Hope Lily was inspired to re-enter the fold!

Why are you hiding behind the menus?

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

That really sounded like fun. I'm glad you had a great time with Jen. You do know that if we ever do arrange to meet that I will not have a bushy tail, right?

raining sheep said...

This is so great!!!! There are so many bloggers I want to meet in real life.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

What fun! I have met only a couple of other bloggers, despite the warnings of my daughter, both of whom turned out to be lovely people.

I think it's always a wonderful idea to make a new friend, especially since many of us do feel that our favorite bloggers are already friends. And good food makes everything better.

Jo said...

I have met a few fellow bloggers, a couple of whom are still very good friends of mine. One blogger flew up from Texas to meet me, and I tried to make everything as lovely as possible for her, but she and I were very different, and she took an instant disliking to me. I could have had something to do with the fact that she likes to drink beer -- a lot -- and I don't. No axe murderer, though.

(P.S. Molly is my favorite name.)

Meggie said...

What a lovely post, & great Wilson style pic!